Homemade Strawberry Jam (recipe)

I finally made my first batch of strawberry jam and canned a few extras to freeze. I have to admit I am pretty darn proud of myself. Six years ago when my husband and I first married, Canning let alone making my own strawberry jam never crossed my mind.

It is such a simple process to make. I feel that anyone could make strawberry jam. Here is the recipe. Please note I did use my own measurements when I made my strawberry jam because I did not have the exact amount of strawberries other recipes call for. Although I'm sure you could easily figure it out. After all isn't that how you know your a good cook?

Homemade Strawberry Jam (freezer)

You will need...

  • canning jars
  • big boiling pot(for the jars)
  • Sauce pan (for boiling the lids)
  • Tongs (for pulling out the hot jars and lids)
  • spoon to stir
  • labels (for the name and date)
  • blender or food processor ( I don't have a food processor. My blender worked great.)
  • Pot for the jam mixture
  • I did not have the true canning necessities yet so I managed a more natural way. I don't think you can do that with other canning recipes.

Ingredients

  • strawberries (I had only 2 cups of strawberries once blended 
  • pectin (1 box) (I did not use the whole box.)
  • sugar 
  • lemon juice (I used 1-2 table spoons with my recipe)
Preparation
  1. Start sterilizing your jars by letting them come to a boil in the big pot on the stove. You may start this and let them boil while you start making your jam.
  2. Cut the tops off your strawberries and blend them till their smooth. You may have them a little chunky if you prefer. 
  3. Add the strawberries, sugar, lemon juice, and pectin into a pot on the stove. 
  4. Stir the jam mixture and let it come to a boil. It will become sticky and a little on the thick side. But not too thick that happens once it settles when your finished canning the jam.
  5. Pull out the jars with the tongs and pour your jam mixture into the jars. ( I wasn't sure if I had to wait till they were cooled off or not. I did not wait and nothing bad happened.)
  6. Seal your jars and let them cool.
  7. lastly label your jam with the date and put it in the freezer.
I am proud to say my four year old brags to others about my jam and others are asking where their jar is!


1 comment

Christina Morley said...

Cute blog! Homemade jam always makes wonderful gifts and everyone is impressed if you made it yourself! Thanks for linking on Amanda's Books and More. :)