Evalyn's First Haircut

For a while now our oldest daughter Evalyn has been showing a lot of interest in getting her hair cut. If you don't already know, she has always had long, thick beautiful hair almost down to her bottom. We always would receive so many comments on her hair while we would be out and about. At school the parents in her class knew her for her pretty long hair and of course sweet personality.

After a couple months of pondering I decided to let her make her own decision to get a hair cut. Of course I didn't want to get her beautiful long hair cut since it's never really been cut. Only when we would get it trimmed. Daddy was totally against it of course, but I felt it was time to let her make a decision on her own. Allowing her to feel like her hair is hers and that she is in control of her own body. I believe teaching them at a young age how to make certain decisions and how to take good care of their body is a must. And hopefully a simple decision making at this age will help her with bigger one when she is older.

Not only was this a hair cut; a transformation from a little girl into a more mature soon to be 1st grader.  And reality for me that I have to learn to let go a little now that she is maturing. Of course I still have her close to my hip since she is only going on 7.


The bonus of the hair cut is, I no longer have to wash that long thick hair; short hair is much easier.  Let along brush it since she can now brush it herself. To make the moment even more special we had my hair stylist do the honors. Who I knew since a little girl and is part of my husbands family.

3 comments

Lynn Schupbach said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lynn Schupbach said...

What a momentous time in the life of a young girl. You are wise to let her make decisions early. I remember reading in one of my favorite parenting books by Barbara Colorosso (check out her website kidsareworthit.com) to allow your children to make as many decisions as possible as long as it didn't harm them or others. Easier said than done! It's also good for her to know that her beauty comes from within and not her hair.

Kaitlyn Hoffman said...

Thank you for your kind comment! I agree with you in all aspects!