What Is a "Real Woman"??

In today's society we are trained to judge a book by its cover. We are trained to view a woman's beauty from the outside and not from within. We have all been guilty at one point or another of this. I'm not afraid to admit it.

Lately though I feel it has been getting a tad out of control. It's all over facebook, the media has been  plays into, and pinterest is covered with pictures of it. Can you guess it now? The "curvy women" "real women" controversy. Let me start off by saying I am so sick of seeing and hearing about this controversy. So what am I suppose to do, delete my facebook account? No longer watch TV? Delete my pinterest account as well and stay off pretty much all social media? No, I refuse therefore I decided to write my own input on my blog. Yes I understand I may get some lash back. But what I want my readers and followers to understand is I love all women for who they are. Your size does not matter to me. I am not going to post "skinny girls rule" or "skinny girls are real" pictures onto my facebook page or pinterest account.  But the moment if I were to, Oh boy you better believe the hatred would come out. Do we even know what the "real women" is today?

But here is where I've had enough. I am that girl who is I guess what society today would call skinny. It is not by choice.  I am your typical size 4 in the hips and 2 Else where. I have recently had measurement's and been told I could wear an A cup bra. Yes I did just tell you that. Be shocked. With that being said I have my own insecurities of my body that other women may think I wouldn't have or shouldn't have. I get comments about being skinny that are not always pleasant. "Are you eating enough?" Yes I am eating enough. Would you like me to go through what I ate today? But I also do eat really healthy. One of the best comments I received lately was a lady at a wedding shop while I was being fitted. Once it slipped that I had three daughters, she acted as if she were in shock and proceeded to ask me my secret to staying skinny was. Most of you think that would be a compliment but to me I was somewhat offended because it kind of goes along with all the other remarks I get for my size. And when people find out that I have three kids makes it even worse. I then told her "Once I find out the secret I'll fill you in." Because there is no secret I am naturally thin by genetics and by living a healthy lifestyle. I have been naturally thin since I can remember. But do I also believe in living a healthy lifestyle yes.
Today's society in my eyes is ridiculing skinny girls, when really social media has no clue. Today we need to embrace the beauty from what is within us and not what lays on the outside of our bodies.

5 comments

Unknown said...

I love this post! I totally agree with you! Hey don't be shocked I am B cup on the small side lol. I agree with the quote "girls compete with each other, women empower one another". It is so true. At a point in a womans life it's just petty and wrong to compete. Why should I compete with the next woman? If I like what she does I am going to embrace and tell her I like her style. No need for hate words. Like the saying goes, if you have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. Love your honesty!

Unknown said...

Kate your answer when trying on that dress should have been I eat right and get plenty of Exercising picking up after three little girls. lol

Jill Flinton said...

Oh my! A wonderful real post about being skinny. The old saying "Don't judge a book by it's cover" is true in so many ways. Thank you for sharing the post on the Thumping Thursday bloghop.

Angel said...

You're right. Size does not matter. I wish for everyone to have a healthy lifestyle, but why judge others for how they look?

Rachel said...

Oh, man....I actually wrote a post about my experiences/views on this subject about a year ago: http://www.therandomwritings.com/2012/12/are-you-real-woman-or-fake-one.html

Even though people might doubt it, I'm real. And my grandma had 3 kids and is in her 70s and is a size 8, in case anyone doubts a genetic connection...

A healthy lifestyle makes a difference and so does genetics, in large part--but "realness" isn't determined by the outside, and that's so sad.