Laundry day

I absolutely dread laundry day! Now that we do laundry for a family of five, it seems never ending. I will be totally honest! I will have moments where I will put off a load another day and it will pile up! I've learned with a big family you can't put it off, unless you want to feel buried in it forever. I know once our girls are in their teenage years its going to be worse.
   Doing laundry is expensive with a larger family. I am one who doesn't like buying off brand detergents. So an idea clicked in my head; I'll start making my own detergent! I did a lot of research on homemade laundry detergents one night after the girls went to bed. I'm very picky by the way! I wanted something that wouldn't fade my colors and at the same time still brighten my whites. And with it being homemade I wanted it to be able to fight stains and smell good. I found a lot of the detergents were pretty much the same. some people added some different things. Here is one I came across that I like, and made! The one I made is based on a years supply according to 6 loads of laundry a week. measured 2 ounces of the detergent per load!! it cost me only 26.?? at Meijers!!!

Homemade laundry detergent
1 Box of borax (4lb)
1 Box super washing soda (3lb)
1 container oxy clean (3lb) Optional; help brighten your whites!
2 Bars of zote soap
1-2 Purex crystals, Optional; helps your clothes and towels from coming out of the dryer rough and makes them smell good!!
2 Boxes of baking soda (2lbs each)
big bucket
SMALL cheese grader only!!
All these are found in the laundry detergent isle expect the baking soda is in the cooking isle

Its really easy to make! the only tough part is grading the soaps! only because its time consuming! You must use a small cheese grader so you don't end up with big flakes. You don't want to clog up your washer.  Add in everything then your shredded soap on top and mix! Then your all done! You should have homemade laundry soap for a year costing roughly 27-29 dollars!!
   My first couple loads came out great. They looked brighter. I used only one purex crystals and think next time ill use two! Hope it works for you!

5 comments

Anonymous said...

How much do you use per load? you must be washing just for one for it to last a year.

Anonymous said...

Two ounces, is that equal to 2 or 3 tablespoons? Guess I've been using too much per load.

Kaitlyn Hoffman said...

I use 1-2 ounces per load. The top of the Purex Crystal container is great to use to measure as well. You may also use an left over clean top from an old detergent bottle.

Kaitlyn.

Kaitlyn Hoffman said...

two ounces equals 4 tablespoons I believe.

Kaitlyn

Anonymous said...

I've used this recipe and everything turns out great, except my husbands black t shirts. They end up with white all over it. Any suggestions? I never used powder laundry soap before, i always used liquid. I did start making sure it dissolves before adding the clothes. It seems to help, but i still find it happening.